Interview: What's it like to be a vegetarian?

In my opinion, it's never a bad idea to look at different perspectives, especially about what it means to be healthy. Today, I am interviewing my mom who has been a vegetarian since she was a child. I am not suggesting that you become a vegetarian, but to realize that specific diets work for certain people. We all are unique in our own ways therefore our diets will not be the same. I hope you enjoy this type of blog post and I want to continue to interview other people in my life to see more perspectives on health, wellness, and fitness!



Tell us about yourself!

My name is Lorrie Brown and I am from Missouri, my interests include tennis and hiking. I love listening/reading to books especially classics. I also do yoga at home when my muscles need a good stretch.

Why did you decide to stop eating meat? How long have you been a vegetarian?

I have my first memories of a child always wanting salads, baked potatoes, and Mexican restaurants where I could order a guacamole tostada with no meat. Growing up in Texas, there were no vegetarians that I was aware of much less vegetarian restaurants so I would order a burger and take the meat off and eat the rest of the burger with everything else on it. It was never a conscious decision to not eat meat, I never liked the smell of seafood and couldn't eat it with meat it was just I liked everything else and the meat was the last thing I wanted.

What are your go-to vegetarian meals? What protein-packed foods do you like to eat?

Black bean burgers, baked potatoes, and veggie sheet pan meals. I will do a whey protein shake in the morning to get my protein for the day. I love good tofu! 

Besides not eating meat, what are some other interesting aspects of your way of eating?

I am the unhealthiest vegetarian out there, lol. I like chips and dips and buttered popcorn, I wish I was a healthy vegetarian because meat does nothing for me so I just quit ordering it years ago.

What's your definition of health?

Being active is how I call myself healthy, I move all day. I don't eat out much and I don't drink but maybe a glass of wine while out to dinner. I don't smoke and try to stay positive in the mind and spirit. I start my day with warm lemon water and drink no caffeine after 1 and no soda whatsoever. I always tried to walk, run, play tennis, or do yoga while my kids were at their swim practice to show them that I as well want to stay healthy and no matter what you're doing, just moving keeps you healthy!

My mom and I on vacation at Colorado!

Thank you for reading!

Comments

  1. Great interview! Lorrie is probably one of the most active people I know; taking on the trails for miles a day, walking the cats and the deer, playing tennis, and keeping up with her kids and my kid. She really shatters the stereotype of the weak vegetarian!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts