How to Get Into Running

Running can be challenging. Let's face it, at one point in our life we all have hated running. However, running is unbelievably good for your body. It keeps your heart healthy, burns fat, and tones your body. I love running because I can focus on myself and push my limits every time I run. Here are some tips that have helped me stay motivated to keep running and how I run long distances!



1. Have a big goal and create smaller ones to help you reach it. When I first got back into running, my goal was to run 30 minutes without stopping. I made goals that every time I ran I would take fewer and fewer breaks and help build up my lung capacity and endurance.
2. Find something to motivate you to run. For me, I motivate myself by listening to fun and upbeat music! I know some runners that listen to audiobooks, podcasts, etc. Find something to make the time go faster!
3. Make it a goal to run at least 2-3 times a week. If you only run once a week, the results will take longer to show and it will take longer for your body to be able to run long distances. I run 3 times a week, at least 3 miles every time.
4. Don't stick to the same pace. If you stick to a certain pace that is not pushing you, it won't do a lot of good. Be constantly increasing your pace to challenge your body and make you stronger.
5. Try running new terrain! I love running on the treadmill because I can workout immediately after I'm done with my run. However, if you prefer running outside I would suggest trying different places so you can see different places and not be bored. Also, finding new places to run could help you train for different running situations such as hills.
6. Stretch before and after! This is a hard one for me to do because I'm always running errands after I workout and feel like I don't have time to stretch. However, it is SO important to stretch in order to recover faster, prevent injuries, and release lactic acid.
7. Stay hydrated. Drink lots of water after you run and eat a nutritious meal or protein shake. Click here to view my protein shake recipe!
8. Have proper running shoes. I prefer Asics, I have used their shoes for years! Click here to view the shoes that I run in.
9. If you know other people that run, run with them! Running buddies can help push you to go faster and run farther!
10. Since I am a student, I run after school or in the mornings during the weekend. Create a schedule for yourself dedicated to running!

-Gabby

Comments

Popular Posts