Interview: Losing Weight by Eating Healthy and Counting Calories

 Today I am interviewing Dr. Lance Borup, a radiologist who has lost over 60 pounds by eating healthy and counting calories. The story of his weight loss journey is incredible and he provides lots of resources and beginner tips for people who want to make a change in their lifestyle. I hope you enjoy this interview!




Tell us about yourself!

My name is Lance Borup and I am from Utah. I love weight lifting, mountain biking, walking my dogs, and meeting new people. I have been a physician (radiologist) for almost 20 years. I am married with seven children and two grandchildren.

What made you want to start to eat healthier? Is there an exact moment when you decided to be more healthy?

When I weighed in at 250 pounds on my annual physical at my physician's office in the spring of 2018, I knew I needed to make a change in my life. I exercised regularly but I could not lose the weight. I knew eating healthy and less was the only way I was going to become healthier.

Explain the process of your health journey. What did you originally focus on?

I first asked God for help to know what to do and have the discipline to do it. I listen to 40 hours of nutrition lectures by the renowned dietician, Roberta Anding. Her lectures helped me see through all the fad diets and misinformation on the internet and to choose common sense time-proven basic nutrition. After losing 30 pounds with a healthy diet and cutting out sugary foods, I started weight lifting and realized I need to control the number of calories I take in. I began counting calories and loosely planning my meals which helped me lose 33 more pounds. I am now adding cardio to my workouts and, although I don't count calories anymore, I am eating less by eating a smaller breakfast and avoiding snacking. 



What made the most impact on your health journey?

Counting calories, eating healthy, and exercising are all important but restricting calories is the most important.

If someone wants to lose weight, what do you suggest they do to get started?

Learn proper nutrition from a dietician to avoid the pitfalls of all of the misinformation on the internet. Choose a diet plan that you can sustain for the rest of your life- not just a few months. Restrict your calories to an appropriate level to lose weight.

What books, resources, podcasts, etc would you recommend to someone for information on how to be healthy?

Nutrition Made Easy by Roberta Anding, Bigger Leaning Stronger by Micheal Matthews, and Athlean X Training Program by Jeff Cavalier.



Lance lost two 30 lbs dog food bags of weight

How would you say your knowledge of medicine as a doctor has impacted your wellness journey? Are there any untrue common fitness and diet ideologies you commonly see?

Even as a physician with an in-depth of physiology and nutrition, I found it hard to navigate the terrible information on the internet. Avoid "nutritionists" and seek out responsible dieticians who have a 4-year degree in proper nutrition; learn from them. Don't do a diet that you cannot maintain for the rest of your life.

Thank you for reading! I hoped you enjoyed this interview with Lance! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts